Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Kama Sutra / MyWife worm

I know it’s going to be a busy day when my local CBS station calls to ask me about a new computer threat and wants to do an on-camera interview. Today, Microsoft released a Security Advisory for the win32/Mywife worm which if installed will damage computer files on the 3rd of every month.  This one has been making the news because it purposely removes most of the popular AntiVirus software like Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Trend Micro PC-cillin, and Grisoft AVG.  This is one case where being a little guy like WinPatrol has an advantage.

I’m not freaking out too much about this one.  Users will have to physically download a file which is disguised as a zip file and run it.  Most local IP’s already know about the worm and have been filtering it out automatically before it reaches their users.  Both my AOL account and Road Runner accounts have been blocking it for a while.

If you’re a WinPatrol user, you’ll see an alert that “scanregw.exe /scan” has been added to your Startup Programs list.   For the most information and a link to a removal tool from Microsoft click here.

Updated 2/1/2006 2:30 PM
I’ve uploaded a video of  my latest TV appearance.  Click here for Kama Sutra on CBS6

Share on Facebook


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Bill.

Your blogs are the most informative ones I have come across. They are written in a manner that is easy to understand. I am on roadrunner and it was good to read and know that my ISP RR is catching this worm. As usuall Scotty and Lady are doing their jobs well.
Take Care
Cel

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home